Monday, September 20, 2010

three degrees of james joyce

One of the only things I was worried about coming to St. Andrews was that I would spend the next three years entirely on fiction writing at the expense of playwriting. It's nice to see already that this won't necessarily have to be the case. 


I got an email from the first professor I ever met from St. Andrews (And fave poet) Don Paterson about a little gem of an opportunity I'll be partaking in this fall. In junction with St. Andrews (the town's) Byre Theatre (which I had already been planning on going down and getting involved with) the English dept is having an intensive playwriting course with Israel Horovitz from the beginning of term through the end of October. Not only is Israel known for his translations, his frequent work with Al Pacino, but also for being besties with Samuel Beckett. 1. Samuel Beckett is a legend in his own right. 2. Samuel Beckett was James Joyce's protege and both figure heavily in what I believe I'm going to write my newest novel about (fictionalized versions of them, at least.) 


So to recap, week two of school and I'll be studying THREE DEGREES FROM JAMES JOYCE! And at the theatre where I had hoped to get involved. We'll each produce a 10 minute play at the Byre. And I thought I wouldn't overcommit myself ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...