Friday, June 18, 2010

They were never alone, they were never that far apart

Tonight, my new novel was born. The project that I feel, almost immediately, will be the project of the next several years of my life. It feels good. It's called Reunion. (Wild, there's no real book of note called that).


 I have the first line and the last line... and some stuff in between. But knowing exactly how it begins and exactly how it ends feels like good start to me. What it will grow up to become is anyone's guess.


But I know it's populated with people to love-- people who fight to put right what destiny somehow seemed to get wrong so many years ago. So even if it took them longer than thwy thought, they'd get to making it happen in the end. People exotic in their eccentricities and inner worlds, both known and unknown. Different in every way possible except one: They were glued together body and soul/That much more with their backs up against the wall.


My whole life, I've been practically pathological about doing the impossible. And with finding some kind of peace or plan of action that allowed for the steep and conflicting marching orders I gave myself. I think the guys in this book are feeling that way for many years too. And that's in this song too. Never give up, never slow down, never grow old, but never ever die young. How do you do that? Well, like Peter Block says, "The answer to how is yes."
Never give up, never slow down
Never grow old, never ever die young

Synchronized with the rising moon
Even with the evening star
They were true love written in stone
They were never alone, they were never that far apart

And we who couldn't bear to believe they might make it
We got to close our eyes
Cut up our losses into doable doses
Ration our tears and sighs

You could see them on the street on a Saturday night
Everyone used to run them down
They're a little too sweet, they're a little too tight
Not enough tough for this town

We couldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole
No, it didn't seem to rattle at all
They were glued together body and soul
That much more with their backs up against the wall

Oh, hold them up, hold them up
Never do let them fall
Pray to the dust and the rust and the ruin
That names us and claims us and shames us all

I guess it had to happen someday soon
wasn't nothing to hold them down
They would rise from among us like a big balloon
Take to the sky, forsake the ground

Oh, yes, other hearts were broken
Yeah, other dreams ran dry
But our golden ones sail on, sail on
To another land beneath another sky

But our golden ones sail on, sail on
To another land beneath another sky

21 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it on the bestsellers list :) I'm actually re-visiting an old un-finished novel of mine. I tossed it away one day when I decided I was too cool and above "that kind of writing", but now that I'm looking back at it, I had some pretty good elements for an eleven-year-old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Ryann! This is exciting news. I hope to have the honor of reading some pages in December. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so exciting. Sounds like a good read to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine! Girl after my own heart! I started working on my first novel when I was 12. I finished when I was 16 and I'm still so proud of it-- if only for the dedication and discipline (or dorkiness!) it took to do it. Cherish that writing for sure...it's pure.

    Sara, you can surely read it on our amazing UK Adventure!

    Thanks, Dena! And thanks to you too, La!!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...