Friday, June 4, 2010

a healthy neurotic

"We worked out all our issues. And the issues we didn't work out, I turned into a career." 

I never knew I related to John Waters so much! Other than being the source material of some Broadway musicals-- a very good musical, as well as the only show I've ever left at intermission-- I didn't give him too much thought. But he has a new book out called Role Models, and did this lengthy, wonderful interview on NPR.

For all the obvious tonal reasons, I'm about as far from Waters as you can get. But then.... From the love of cemeteries, to to living alone, to the way he kept trying to make his therapist like him, by the end of  the interview,  I felt surprisingly connected to him.

Guess it just goes  to show that if you get to know anyone well enough, it's hard not to be compassionate. And empathetic.

photo by Greg Gorman


Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE John Waters. Have you seen This Filthy World? It's sort of stand-up / one man show, and it's great.

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...