Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fave Photographers- David Eustace

"A road trip and being stuck in a car for hours at a time is the perfect place to understand that it is often the quiet moments when nothing is said that somehow speak the loudest."  --David Eustace



Since I am going to to one of the most breathtaking and photographed places on Earth, I thought I'd spend the rest of the week talking about some of my favorite photographers and why I think they're awesome. I thought I'd go ahead and start with a guy who, as luck or mysticism would have it, is from Scotland: David Eustace


His work is pretty uniformally magical, but the stuff that speaks to me the most was the project he did with his sixteen year old daughter, Rachael, called In Search of Eustace. She'd never been to the wide open America before (only huge cities on the East Coast), and so, retracing some steps of his youth as a wild photographer, they began a road trip at Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles and ended in Eustace, Texas. They passed through Vegas, Boulder City and New Mexico. Along the way, they documented pretty much everything for www.theanthropologist.net. (In Search of Eustace)


It's easy to see why the project speaks to me in particular. There seems to be something parallel, but reverse about the Eustace father/daughter journey and our Ferguson father/daughter journey here on the other side. Where we start in Los Angeles, Vegas and Texas and end in a road trip to our past in Scotland, they obviously came the opposite direction, but everything they discuss along the three week road trip I've experienced on so many occasions with my dad. 


About a million people have talked about this project much more extensively than I,  but it just feels appropriate to talk about now, with all that's going on-- not just in my life, but all around. So many people just cut ties. Or think you have to move on from people in order to grow. But I'm still thinking about how important it is to persist and forge new bonds within our most important relationships. That there's never too many ways to bond yourself to those most dear. 


Just look...

2 comments:

  1. Ryann <3 that last paragraph has been stuck in my head ever since reading this blog. Love it SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Morg! I can't wait to wear my winter warm knits you made for me! SO excited. Listening those mixes you sent to! <3! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...