Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What I Did For Love - We'll Miss You, Marvin Hamlisch


Like most everyone else in the theatre community, I was heartbroken to learn yesterday that the wonderful Marvin Hamlisch had passed away. I only got to meet him once, when he came to a tourism event I participated in when I worked for the Shuberts, but it was enough. What a role model. He's one of only eleven people to have all four of the major arts awards: A Grammy, a Tony, And Oscar and an Emmy. And he's one of only two people to have all those things plus a Pulitzer. (The other being Richard Rodgers.) 

And what I lovely, funny man. I have a special place in my heart for "The Way We Were" (and all things Redford, obviously.) And I don't think there's any kid who ever dreamed a Broadway Dream that didn't listen to "What I Did For Love" on repeat and know in their hearts it was written for them. Marvin, you will be much much missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...