Saturday, August 25, 2012

Houston Treasures - The Rothko Chapel


Mark Rothko (and the play Red, which I saw on Broadway several years ago and is now playing in Los Angeles) was pretty much my gateway into appreciating the more visual arts. Obviously, I've always had an artistic bent, but paintings, sculptures, installations... their ability to move me was always lacking. Until I saw this play. Perhaps because it came in the package of an artform that utterly moves me, for the first time, I was able to experience paintings like I never had before. 

No joke, one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever seen in on stage, was just two men prepping a canvas while an old record played. It was like a dance. 

The timing couldn't have been better. When I think about all I might have seen without appreciating living in Europe... In two years, I saw the Prado, The Louvre, The Musee D'Orsay, The Rodin, The Vatican and... well... ALL the London and Edinburgh art museums. I easily could have breezed through them... or worse, skipped them entirely.

Which is what I did the entire four years I lived in Houston. I never went to the Menil Collection. Or saw any of the other amazing art there. I'm especially sad I've yet to see the Rothko Chapel. One of the world's first truly ecumenical centers, all are welcome to practice in the space in whatever way they choose. The place itself is a piece of art. Man, I would have loved to see Houston in the 60's.  

The documentary done on the chapel has been remastered and is now available for the first time on DVD from microcinema.com. Check it out! Hope you're having a great Saturday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...