Sunday, August 12, 2012

What Do We Think About Book Trailers?


You may have noticed that the ancient art form known as 'novels' has finally jumped on the bandwagon of the twenty-first century and decided to use youtube to help market their products. In general, I think it's hard to go wrong with having one for a book. But then again, I've seen a couple that actually made me less interested in the book. and how many views do they really even get?

So what to make of that. It's hard to believe that high profile books with major publishing house marketing clout behind them would allow a shoddy trailer to be made. And I know that my marketing (and OCD) background make me perhaps overly sensitive to things like font and editing. 

But a case in point is the trailer for the book that was next on my list by the amazing Adam Haslett, Union Atlantic. I was so pumped. And after watching, I was pretty deflated. I mean, I'm a nerd, so I'm still probably going to read the book. But... you know what I mean? 

And for me, the jury is still out on the trailer for my man Cronin's newest, The Twelve. (Get your preorders in NOW people!) I think it does some things right. But while those children are good for setting tone, knowing the series like I do, I just kept wondering, who the heck are these kids? At least they got the font right. 

Anywhooo, check them out for yourself and let me know what you think. Included here is also one I find wonderful-- the trailer for my pal Jenny Smith's novel The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight (being turned into a movie by Dustin Lance Black!!) That's a commercial for a book right there! Also there's two versions from the point of view of each of the main characters. Adorbs. 

I'm going to use my impending subway ride to Washington Heights to contemplate what my book trailer will look like. Which isn't much of a stretch considering I'm about two secs away from turning the thing into a screenplay anyhow. 

It's Sunday in New York City, ya'll. The best scenario in the world. Joy to yous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...