Friday, November 26, 2010

Redford.



I suppose I've been sort of working up to addressing my feelings about the man. I heard he was on Oprah in the states last week. Missed it. I was on my way back from Bamff, plus, I don't even have a clue if you can watch Oprah in the UK. But oh, Redford. Basically, all my ideas about what masculinity means-- should mean?-- boil down to a single person: young Robert Redford. 


Like 1975 Redford. Or really anywhere between Barefoot in the Park and The Natural. (You know he was almost 50 when he made that movie?)




He can make anything sexy. Anything cool. I've never seen anyone but him who can actually pull off a mustache. He makes aging appealing. Sly smiles charming. So cool, he could pull off making a name like Hubbell sound badass. So cool that I actually at times considered naming my own hypothetical kid Hubbell. It's funny too because I've never been a big fan of cool, actually. But he even makes cool look cool. 


I would (and have) gotten into fights defending his supremacy in these matters. I'd contend that what most people like about any contemporary movie man they like-- is actually just Redford. That thing they like is just the Redford showing.  I suppose it's arbitrary-- the man is 73 years old-- but I don't see a lot about modern man I much like these days. So it's nice to keep one little torch burning. And hope there's some real Bob Redfords out there. Under the age of 45.


So I'd say don't mention Redford if you want me to be able to stand up afterwards. Weak knees. Happy Friday. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A search for young Redford brought me to your blog. I keep hearing I look like him in his glory years. I'm flattered but prefer to let the true legend live on in a legacy of excellent filmography.

      Delete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...