Friday, November 5, 2010

Remember, Remember the Fifth of November

I'm here in Iona's lovely flat in Edinburgh after turning in my essay (it was as good as it was gonna get). It's a great fall day with beautiful trees- not that I've really been out yet. I accidentally slept until 1PM. Guess I was tired. 


But by the time you folks in the states read this, I should be speeding west in a car with Iona and Zaza for Skye. We're staying at Iona's family house, Viewfield,  which is also a hotel in the capital city of Portree. 


It's also Guy Fawkes Night aka Bonfire night. This is a British holiday I had absolutely no knowledge of prior to this week in fact. But it sounds like a good time for pyros. There are lots of, you guessed it, bonfires!  And burning effigies (can you ever have enough burning effigies? No!) And tomorrow night on the Isle of Skye there will be a big fireworks show (gunpowder!) marking the anniversary of the failed Gunpowder Plot of 1605 (which I did know about. Just not that continued holiday.) 

Thankfully, Guy Fawkes, acting as point person for a Catholic Conspiracy group, was a complete failure with the gunpowder and James I ( & VI of Scotland) was not assassinated, giving us this fine excuse to light things on fire in remembrance. 

Conveniently (and because there is a musical for everything) there is also a musical by Justin Levine called Bonfire Night. Somehow, I never really thought about it in context. Wop Wop. And it opens tonight!

The MacLeods of Dunvegan Castle will be hosting this fireworks extravaganza, and  apparently, good old Chief Hugh MacLeod or the MacLeod of the MacLeods (yep) will invite our little group in to hang out. Is my joy visible here on the page? My life feels at its most complete when I am in a castle. And this one is pretty spectacular because it is the only castle in Scotland to be occupied by the same (And original) family for almost 800 years. Which I even knew without having to look it up. It's that famous. 

So. Big weekend coming up. Loving life. 
PS- I will have no internet I'm supposing this weekend, but my blogs are scheduled to post so check back because I won't be able to post them on facebook/twitter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...