Thursday, November 18, 2010

Back to Bamff


For a special mid-week treat, this past Tuesday, I headed back to beautiful Alyth to hear Sophie perform. I listen to her CD lots, but I'd never gotten to see her live, so I was very much looking forward it. 


Additionally, I ended up learning a ton about Scotland's most famous Jacobite songstress, Lady Nairne. The evening was a combo historical presentation (from a Lady Nairne relative with access to the family archives) and song performance from Sophie, singing some of Lady Nairne's greatest hits like, "Land o' the Leal," "Charlie is my Darling" and "The Laird o' Cockpen." It was truly truly a treat and I kept wishing I could share the whole thing with you all. 


I love all the aristocratic lady writers who had to write under pseudonyms. And I love thinking about how art culture-- songs and literature fit in with such turbulent and interesting historical events. In case you're not up on your Scottish history (for shame! ;) this is probably a good opportunity to check out the above linked wikipedia pages-- haha. 

More great walks around Bamff and chats with Sophie and her mom about art ensued. We had late night slumber party chats about family dynamics. I even got a preview of the album Sophie is working on (!!)  And as expected, I felt revived and very very blessed. Such special folks. 

To pass a bit of that onto you, here's one of Sophie's originals. Love love love. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...