Tuesday, November 23, 2010

big bad love of larry brown



My friends and I are obviously nerds. We get together on Friday nights and we read our stuff. I mean, we still get rowdy and piss off the neighbors. But I suppose it's from reading our short stories and poems too loudly? 


This Friday, I read Paddington. That's pretty much the only short thing I have. Heard some great poems from fiction writers and poets alike. 


Then, this Sunday, in another raging party, we hung out and watched this awesome documentary about the Mississippi writer Larry Brown. Our dear Brian had it shipped to Scotland from Duke University. (How he managed to track it down there, I have no idea.) 


It will definitely make you want to read Larry Brown. The still photography they used with narration of his some of his short stories was remarkably affective in places. Also, encouraging to see the lengthy lists of his short story send outs-- how often he was rejected. Really do have to have nerves of steel.


Check out Big Bad Love and this documentary if you can! 



(Also interesting. There's a lot of posthumous book publishing going on these days...only 5 more months until The Pale King....sigh)
(PS- the egregious typos I made in this post when I wrote it half asleep this morning have now been fixed. Wow.)

1 comment:

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...