Tuesday, November 2, 2010

the little ballerina rebel

In another life (a life where I was graceful) I think I would have liked to be a ballerina. Even as a child, despite being muscular (and I guess, in a way, precise), everyone seemed to exclude ballet as an option for me. I always ended up in tap dance (and in fact, was known for wearing only tap shoes for about a year-- imagine how obnoxious that was).  Probably a wise choice by the supervising adults in my life so that I could get out all the excessive energy I had. But I suppose in the way that I'm attracted to all exotic "otherness" in relation to myself, I've always had a fascination with ballerinas. A thing I could never ever be in this life. 


David Eustace, the Scottish photographer I like so much and blogged about right before I left for St Andrews, has made this beautiful short with Scottish Ballet principal dancer, Tomomi Sato. It's just very...mono no aware. The color, the way she looks like she has wings. It's an atmosphere thing. The dreamy truth place




At least I know there's always going to be my comrades in klutz-- the rebels of ballet class, like Keira-- who will never abide by the rules. As told by her mother, here is the story of Keira's first (and only) ballet class.


It started out well, I think... But there are rules
#1. No Talking.
#2. No running. 
#3. No doing your own moves. 

#4. No touching other people. 
#5. No hanging on the bars. 
Getting in trouble. 
Sometimes, you really do just have to dance on your own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...