Thursday, November 25, 2010

happy thanksgiving from fife

If I were a Stepford wife
I'll be in class most of this Thanksgiving, since it's obviously not a European holiday. Yesterday, I heard a bunch of American undergrads lamenting four years of no Thanksgiving. But even though I'd say the holiday and the sentiments behind it are probably my favorite, I've just never been overly attached to holidays. It's like the one thing I'm not super sentimental about. 


Maybe it was my odd upbringing. When I think of family, I think of Georgia or I think of Emily's family. And most of my best holidays, looking back have been with them or with friends-- like that Thanksgiving with Schumann in Connecticut, and the one with the Stillwells and Big Bad Blackwell (even if he did give our really nice desserts from Black Hound Bakery away to  the crackheads in Washington Square Park). 


So instead of gorging on turkey, I'll be workshopping my new short story and Gretchen's story, and listening to Meaghan Delahunt discuss the psyche in writing. And that, amazingly enough, is the number one thing I am thankful for this year. 


I'm thankful to all the people who supported me in my journey here (so many people, but most especially my dad, Emily, and Steven-- who trusted that we'd still be able to get work done together with me in a foreign country). And those who've supported me since I've gotten here (overwhelming!)


Because yep, I'm most thankful that I have been able to engineer a life for myself where writing is at the center of it. And I can spend most of my day writing. It took a lot to build that. And I am thankful for every minute of it. 


Just because there's no Thanksgiving in Scotland, doesn't mean good old Robert Burns doesn't have something to say about it:



Some hae meat and canna eat, -
And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be thankit.
--Robert Burns



Amen. Happy Thanksgiving. 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post as ever Ryann! I hope you don't mind, I thought it was absolutely inspired to use that Rabbie Burns quote, in reference to a Scottish Thanksgiving, so I've Tweeted it and Facebooked it on the Visit St Andrews accounts. I'm very thankful for your blogging talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! Repost away! I have a Twice blog coming your way tomorrow too! Sorry it took so long :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I hope you have a great weekend! I'm really enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for reading, Linnea! Your site is awesome! I love that purple heart cookie pic! xo

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...