Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Young Adult & Teenage Fanclub



While cuddling up in my new room this weekend, I finally got around to watching Young Adult. I'm not a huge Diablo Cody fan, but from everything I had heard, I was ready to embrace the movie, and especially Charlize Theron as Mavis Gary


I love unlikable characters (with the exception of Kramer. I hate Kramer. Though, I have debates with people about him all the time. Anyhoo.) and while, in person, I have an almost pathological desire to make people happy, content and comfortable, as a writer, I enjoy nothing more than making people squirm. There are some truly, deliciously uncomfortable scenes in Young Adult. I hope to write some discomfort like that some day real soon. (Some stuff, I thought was less well done.) 


But Sister Charlize was on it. The Pretty Girl turned Ugly and Ugly Pretty Girl thing works so well for her. Infinitely better than when she's done the ingenue/leading lady thing. Just one more piece of proof that Charlize is a character actress trapped in the body of a leading lady. You know how I love those. And just when I thought I couldn't love her more, THIS happened. Hear, Hear, Charlie. 


And speaking of hear. I had no idea that Scottish super-band and favorite of Kurt Cobain, Teenage Fanclub was featured so prominently in this flick! Excellent choice, Jason Reitman/Diablo Cody/Whoever the Music Supervisor was. So let's hear it for the Boys from Bellshill and their awesome 1991 ditty "The Concept."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...