Thursday, January 20, 2011

a pretty exceptional songwriting story



By now, probably most of you in New York know the astronomical success story of Kerrigan-Lowdermilk's kickstarter campaign which netted them 35K for their album project, Our First Mistake. (Kickstarter's been pretty decent to us, too). But since I've spent a lot of my time these days talking to young theatre hopefuls about the business, I thought I'd talk about it a bit for you Scottish/World readers. 


Our First Mistake finally came out this week and the last time I checked, it was like #14 on the itunes pop charts?! Congrats to Kait and Brian, for sure. 


It's hard to know where you support is going to come from. And everyone is going to take an individual path to getting what they want in this business. Sometimes, you lay groundwork for years and years slogging through things, feeling like you're getting nowhere, and then all of a sudden, you adjust one knob, and the whole thing comes into balance. 


This happens on a macro level-- like with your whole career. On a project level, like a technology platform that allows you to really reach your fan-base and raise 35K! And on a micro level-- the daily rewards that keep you going. When you get a song absolutely right. Or better. That was good, but this is better


I can think of countless examples of this in the stuff Steven and I do. And other friends. And with pillars of the industry. And with my favorite song from Kait and Brian's CD, "Two Strangers." The song is from their show, Tales From the Bad Years, and was originally sung by three women


Then K-L cast it with guys. Of course, I'm willing to admit my bias here (I will be loving and working with MK until you pry my pen out of my cold, dead hand)-- but I also think I'm right-- K-L put the most precious honeychild alive out front. Morgan Karr. Mmm. Finding the perfect singer for your song is special. And when they did that, something extra happened. Something laced with the magic you wake up every morning to chase.  Buy this track. Just buy it. Wait for "Or at least I've been told SO..." 50 seconds in and prepare to DIE. 


Because Morgan Karr sounds like sweet buttery ice cream on this song. 


I know what you're thinking. "But this is an expensive fancy kickstarter-funded recording. Bet it wouldn't sound that good live?"


Wrong.  You go, Morgan, Matt, Jay, Kait & Brian.

1 comment:

  1. bought "run away with me" thanks..let me know when you are on Kickstarter.

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...