Sunday, January 30, 2011

and the best country song of the year is...



Adele. "Don't You Remember." No joke. This is a Nashville song all the way, but I feel like maybe it's so on another level precisely because it is not a Nashville singer. Don't get me wrong-- I'm the proud daughter of a steel guitar player. But this is everything you love about a country song, minus the nasal (and sadly, the steel guitar. THOUGH! You can't tell from these clips with pared down orchestrations, but on the album-- which I've been listening to non-stop-- the arrangements are pretty lushly country.)


She wrote this song with Dan Wilson, who wrote "Not Ready to Make Nice" with the Dixie Chicks. Also, lead singer of Semisonic. ('member them? Responsible for such hits as "Closing Time" and "Chemistry"?) I'd say, girl, keep working with EVERYONE you're working with because it is working. Across the board, the album is like all the best musical genres had an orgy resulting in a baby that no one is sure who the dad is.


It's practically impossible to choose a favorite off here. But this one, I have soft spot for. I suppose I'll always love country. And, of course, a well-placed, heart-wrenching key change. Basically, Adele (especially this album) is everything I like about music. Get it. Americans, sorry you'll have to wait until Feb 22.)




Better quality. 
Also.

1 comment:

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...