Monday, January 24, 2011

i got lots of things to do: i was born this morning, i'm gonna die tonight



It's great when you can actually see your way to the end of the tunnel. And I can see it today. The other side of both these shows is almost there, I can taste it. Only about ten days now. My friend Joe is serving as the sound track for this week. 


Sometimes, I'll forget how good stuff is, how much I like it-- and that's why itunes is so nice. For those subtle reminders. Like, hey, Ryann, remember Things To Ruin? And sharing a bottle of wine with Joe in the lobby of Urban Stages after ReWrite? And how adorable and stupidly talented every moment of Nick Blaemire's existence is? Ah, yes I do. 


There are very few songs I'd actually be willing to classify as a masterpiece, but the first time I ever heard "I Was Born This Morning (The Cicada Song)" I knew it was something special. All of it-- from the metaphor to the sound. How it manages to keep its shape even when it's a little out of control.  What's more, I can't think of any other song that sounds like how I feel when I wake up every morning as a writer. 


How much there is to do. How little time there is to do it all. Even when you have all day, every day.


I think you know most of what you need to know about Joe Iconis with this song. Also, it's pretty impossible not to love Nick Blaemire when he's hopping around stage like that, not to mention when he sings "Honey." I've never listened to Nick sing that song and not believed him that I was the only woman for him. ;) (Well, me and every other girl in the audience, but you know what I mean.)  It's a shame there's no video of him singing it, because he is, ladies & gentleman, a delight. But you can buy it, as well as the rest of Joe Iconis's Things to Ruin here. (I also recommend Son of a Gun)


Sometimes I worry that, one day, I'll have to go back to a life where I don't get to write all day. An idea which scares the ever-loving daylights out of me. Because the only thing I like as much as I like writing-- the only thing I feel just as powerless to stop myself from doing-- is writing about, loving, appreciating my friends. Working in the arts or otherwise, I could blog for years off the momentum of that feeling. 


I'm missing them this morning, but I'm hopped up on blood and pheromones. And I got lots of things to do, I got lots of things to do... I was born this morning, I'm gonna die tonight. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...