Wednesday, October 20, 2010

one month in st. andrews



Exactly one month ago, Dad and I were speeding down the road (and occasionally veering onto the shoulder) in the Mercedes station wagon, on the way to St Andrews. Now, I'm plotting my full three years here, even though so many of my friends won't be staying that long, excited about what I think the research portion of my dissertation will be (let's just say the connecting tissue between my novel and the research is literary friendships, and the research will focus on Franzen and David Foster Wallace.) And my advisor digs it. So that's good. 

I already wonder if I'll stay in St. Andrews for the PhD portion, or if I'll move into Edinburgh to get a flat. I try to remember a time when I liked writing plays. I wonder how I'll pay for everything, but only casually because I think worrying about money is a colossal waste of time. 

But that topic was the subject of the speaker we had last night. Apparently, the UK is about to make huge higher education budget cuts. St Andrews is in a better position than most (largely thanks to we rich Americans pumping our cash over here) so that's good. And let's face it, creative writers have never been particularly well funded by universities. We're not exactly curing cancer. 

Either way, what I think I'm saying is, that I'm here for the long haul. At least I'm trying to be. 

So buy your tickets if you plan on seeing me. We'll break into the Castle at midnight and look at the stars-- you can actually see them here. We may have to wear a sweater over our evening dresses, and Uggs, and still a coat, but once you hop the fence, it's worth it to see the moon reflecting off particularly violent waves. We can pretend get locked in the dungeon.  And when we come out and stand on the plateau overlooking the expanse that was once a complete fortress, we still won't be able to believe what people build in the hopes of protecting something permanently, only to burn down when we change our minds about what's worth protecting. 



it's our own little mafia.
"the bemused contempt of Kevin."

everyone loves Kevvy.  
Nick is a badass
caught
PS- If you only get one song off Come Around Sundown, get "Pickup Truck."
PPS- I totally totally support this! I'm wearing purple today (not that I think anyone here understands why). It warmed my heart to see so many of my pals singing here in support of young gay folks around the world struggling to be accepted. It does get better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...