Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Story of Saint Andrew

I may have been raised a Buddhist, but I've always loved Biblical stories, legends of any kind, saints, and cultural folklore of any kind. I love being in churches. I'd go to almost any one of them. I think it has a major influence on the tone of my writing. And even when I take a step back from religion, there always seems to be sources of continued dialogue for it in my life-- whether it be YTI, my SGI community, or my friends here in St Andrews (and not even just ones studying the Reformation!) I keep examining the way a Biblical legend echoes. 


I dig Andrew. I like that Andrew means "valour" (one of my favorite words). I like that even though Andrew is the patron saint of a bunch of other countries too (Greece, Russia, Romania, etc) that the great Scottish character seems to have edged any popular idea of that out of the way, and pretty much everyone just associates him with good old Alba. 


On that note, here is a little animated story of Scotland's patron saint and namesake of this lovely town.
It's a beautiful sunny Saturday here, and we're off for a hike (Glasgow plans being slightly foiled.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...