Sunday, October 24, 2010

this childhood memory brought to you by sunday afternoon procrastination



This was my 5th birthday party. It's at the wharf restaurant where my mom was a waitress. That's my first best friend, Emily Dill on the left (I tend to gravitate towards people named Emily) & Mia my neighbor and partner in crime on the right. It's funny because almost all of my extremely vivid memories of childhood, come from this period of time when my mom and I lived with my great aunt Judy. 


You can tell from my face that this was a weird transitional time. (I've never  been very good with transitional times.) I missed Emily Dill, who still lived in the last town we had come from (one of the many towns my mom and I hit up on our California World Tour of Boyfriends and Lost Waitressing jobs) and Mia was not quite the replacement I'd hoped to find. 


Although, I came up with many door to door business ventures as a kid-- I had a candle-making business, I made art on my uncle's computer (a big deal to have access to one in 1987) and turned it into posters to sell. I'd go door to door with my little blonde ringlets & my song and dance routine about the posters (singing for  your supper-- having an adorable schtick or party trick-- being  the way I had learned you get love from adults) while Mia collected money and held the product. 


I made lots of money and somehow, she convinced me to give her a cut-- ??-- proving that even then, I was both enterprising and also a push over. Much like I still am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...