Sunday, October 3, 2010

in search of a piper



It's been a very quiet weekend around here. Friday night kind of ended up being a bust as far as fun Fridays go (with the exception of when Emory Steven and I sang Legally Blonde quite loudly through the streets-- it was nice to find someone who knew all the words to "What You Want" and was willing to belt. I think some people saw a different side of me.) Saturday night was no different. I went to sleep about 10PM and slept for a full 12 hours. Guess I needed it. 


But Saturday during the day, we had some fun. Finally got around to trying Butler & Co, the amazing delicatessen on Church Street. Everyone had been telling me I needed to go there, and now I can see why. I had a some kind of "Heart-Stopper" baked wrap with salami, smoked cheddar, and mustard. It was truly fabulous. Gretchen's turkey and brie also looked amazing. The girls who make the sandwiches are hilarious. I kind of want to write a short story about them. One, with short spiky hair, in a crop top, black bell bottoms and space shoes cracked jokes while taking my money and called out, when she had finally figured out how to change the massive blue rolls of paper towels, "I am the God of this blue roll!"




From Butler's we headed off on another hike down the coastal path with Kris and some short bread. We got farther than we had been before, despite the really muddy trails. After a while, we could hear a piper in the distance and I just wanted to walk far enough to find this piper. But the sun didn't last all afternoon and we broke up our shortbread picnic to head back once it started to rain. We saw some girls in bikinis near Albany Park and noted that it's not too often you see people in winter coats standing next to someone in a bikini. 











2 comments:

  1. Our visas just came through! I can't wait to have a heart-stopper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! The hearty heart-stopper is a gem, as a few others I'm blanking on names of at the moment. Safe travels! :)

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...