Wednesday, October 27, 2010

st salvator's- day and night


Even growing up Buddhist, I have always loved being in churches. I don't find a lot of moments of stillness in my life and something about churches-- empty or full-- always seem the surest way to find them. I spent about half a novel, in RISE, talking about how it felt to be in all those churches in the summer of 1999. 


The tower of St Salvator's Chapel, here in St Andrews, dominates the Western skyline of North Street. Even when  you can't see it, you can hear its chiming bells. It's the medieval heart of St Andrews, according to our own website. And next November, it's where my classmates will gradate with our MLitts (I suppose I'll be back there a few years after that for the PhD.) It's from services there that red-robed undergraduates make their famous pier walks


It often looks unbelievable at night. Same goes for days. The chapel has a way of playing with  the light around it.  Taylor and I ducked in there during the day for a bit earlier this week.  I love all the details-- thistle hand rails, university emblems tucked here and there. One of these days, I'll make it to a service there. In the meantime, here's the full scoop. More pics after the jump.


















3 comments:

  1. Whoa!!! that man...uhhh I mean that church is gorgeous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful in there. Fun live sound, too -- I had an opera rehearsal there once. It's an exciting environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Littlewow, thanks for the kind words about Monarchs House on your site. Make certain that you and your friends enter.
    All the best,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...