Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Haw River Ballroom & My Future Artist Colony


After our awesome lunch at the Saxapahaw General Store, we walked the one one road in the town down towards the river. I fell a bit in love with this little condensed compound: a very British style pub called The Eddy, a coffee shop/arts/events ballroom, and the most amazing Sawmill-turned-exposed brick condos EVER. 

I'm dreaming of a next next summer spent living in a two bedroom exposed brick splendor for like $400 a piece and me and Steven finishing Tercio de Muerte or whatever else strikes our fancy. We'll sit outside in the mornings with coffee and strategize the day's writing. We'll write all day. One our days off, we'll go to the art gallery. At night, we'll hit up the ballroom for whatever band is has come to to this small spot on the map. 

The balance between being right in the middle of it all and being right in the middle of nowhere has become a key component of the overall balance of my life, I gotta tell ya. I wouldn't mind spending the whole summer with Lucie right up the street too. 

Everything about this area of North Carolina makes me want to sit outside and make things. Everything about it whispers in your ear how easy it is to be happy. Everything smells like cedar. Everything sounds like cicadas. The whole day, I just kept thinking, "Yep, this is what life is supposed to feel like...."

2 comments:

  1. Great post ~ we've recently discovered the mill and all it's beautiful jewels tucked away in the Carolina countryside. We love going there for breakfast and a mocha ~ then for a walk along the river and a peek in the gallery. A summer there sounds just lovely ~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a joy to spend the little chunk of time with you in our own dream spot. We wouldn't mind spending the summer with you right down the road either and this: "The balance between being right in the middle of it all and being right in the middle of nowhere has become a key component of the overall balance of my life, I gotta tell ya."

    well,
    that gets the BIG AMEN.
    Big love.

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...