Saturday, September 22, 2012

Am I In Your Light?


When I spend a lot of time around Rice people, no matter which Rice people they are, I am reminded by what a special place it is-- how weird and neurotic and striving. At least, that's how it was in the early aughts. I think we're all scared it's turned into just another homogenous smart people place. 

No matter what kind of place it is now or may ever becomes in the future, in 2000, when I showed up there, I got to live with the beautiful, self-conscious girl who would someday do THIS at the New York Metropolitan Opera. This moment remains one of the most beautiful things I've ever witnessed. Some days, I just like to dress up and listen to some beautiful performance like this. 

I'm not at the opera today. I'm at a Starbucks in the East Village writing. But I'm a bit dressed up. I've got my red lipstick on. And I'm luxuriating in all this rich Sasha-ness. I think the world could use more dressing up and going to the opera. Even if it's only in our inner worlds. 

Hope you're having a beautiful Saturday. 


This light is thick with birds, and evening warns us beautifully of death. 
Slowly I bend over you, 
slowly your breath runs rhythms through my blood 
as if I said I love you 
and you should raise your head. 
listening, speaking into the covert night: 
Did someone say something?
Love, am I in your light?
Am I?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...