Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mary Poppins of Photography - Vivian Maier


Thanks to my friend Caroline, I've been scrolling through Vivian Maier photos for days now. As far as photographer stories go, hers is pretty up there. Often called the Mary Poppins of photography, she was a nanny and caretaker both before and after she picked up photography in just two years. But never made a real career of it. Many of her negatives were found after death in an old storage unit, where she had stockpiled found items through her years in New York in the 50s and later in Chicago. 

In her older years, she was completely broke and was taken care of until her death my three of her former child charges who pooled together. Who you let take care of you in your life and in your death is a fascinating subject for me. And so are all Vivian Maier's photos. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. And thanks to the Maloof Collection for bringing them to the light of day and putting together this amazing book of Vivian's work. I'm all about it

All photos by Vivian Maier, Property of the Maloof Collection. 

1 comment:

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...