Thursday, October 4, 2012

Into the Mystic, Away From The Market


One really good reason not to cut funding for PBS, Mitt, is their awesome series, Sound Tracks featuring (among others) the fabulous Gaelic singer Julie Fowlis. I have previously written about her awesomeness when her song, "Tha Mo Ghaol Air Ă€ird" was featured in the BRAVE trailers. 

You don't put your soul up to the mercy of "The Market." Art is our soul. The less we appreciate it, the less we're fulfilled. I'll go down with the ship on that one because I don't want to live in a world that doesn't set aside time and space and money for art for its own sake. I think a lot of why it's hard to feel fulfilled in modern life is our turning away from appreciating art on a regular basis. 

Lots of things don't make money, but keep us full of life. Children for one. Or maybe we should send them back to work. That's in line with the same Dickensian England style attitude that I just can't get behind. 

I want to live in a world where someone thinks to put Wynton Marsalis, Youssou N'dour and Of Monsters and Men in the same show. I want always to remember that it's a big world and America is just one piece of it. I want to be able to experience Scotland even when I can't be there and the music of Senegal even if I never go. 

The Market only lets us have what we know we want. PBS or an entity like BBC gives us what maybe we didn't know we wanted. Big Bird, sure. Julie Fowlis, singing with her baby on her lap, hell yes. 

Watch Sound Tracks: Preview Trailer on PBS. See more from Sound Tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...