Monday, January 23, 2012

Birdsong on the Beeb



Have you guys ever noticed that Eddie Redmayne's lips always look just a little bit blue onscreen? Seriously, Pillars of the Earth, Glorious 39, My Week with Marilyn & now the two-part BBC adaptation of Sebastian Faulks' WWI epic, Birdsong. Do you think his lips are really like that or do you think they're just putting a nice blue enhancer on everything to give it that dreamy, period feel. I know I do that with pictures. 


Anyhow, that's kind of all I could think about during the first installment of the program last night. Wow, Eddie Redmayne's lips are really blue, and how much I like Clemence Poesy even though I had absolutely no interest in her character or what she was saying. 


I'm still going to stick it out and watch the second part-- maybe it will be better. Also, it's just sort of a comfort food. Cold Sunday nights need a BBC drama whether its amazing or just beautifully filmed. But I don't think this will be the thing to (as one BBC head stated) "prove British drama is as good as Mad Men and The Wire." You know what I mean? 


I've got to hand it to Abi Morgan though. She must be the most working, most prolific female screenwriter pounding the pavement today. Shame, The Iron Lady, The Hour. While she's certainly on a roll, I agree with some assessments of her that she's spread herself a bit too thin. Project diet, Abi! Kick some of that my way. I'll be happy to help. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...