Thursday, April 19, 2012

One Man, Two Guvnors



While I was in NYC, I'd hoped to take in about 12 of the Broadway shows I was dying to see this season. As it happens, I only got to one. And it was, fittingly, a London transfer of the super hilarious, One Man, Two Guvnors. It's a Richard Bean farce, adapted from Servant of Two Masters to 1960's Brighton. I had heard from almost everyone in London that it was a thing to see, so I was very happy to see most of its original London cast in NYC and for free. Just how I like my theatre. 


Obviously, everyone's raves over Gavin & Stacey creator James Corden in the leading role of the harlequin, Francis, were right on. There were so many gags and audience moments. I was only saddened by my prior knowledge of how those gags work to let them fully enrapture me. 


Other absolute stand outs for me were former UK Office actor, Oliver Chris, (who I now have a massive crush on) as a truly odd and specifically accurate kind of posh murderer/romantic lead (Yeah.) and the mid-thirties actor playing a mid eighties rickety waiter named Alfie. 


Man, I love my some physical humor. And this play is essentially just one gag like that after another. There was even some physical humor in the audience due to the presence of Joan Rivers, whose face is not even vaguely humanoid anymore. 


It's also a play with music (Almost as good as a musical ;) and turns out, everyone in the cast can sing. Hurrah, for those Renaissance Folks. 


Anyhow, my point is, either in London or New York, check out One Man, Two Guvnors. Wrap his nuts in bacon and send him to the nurse!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...