Wednesday, April 25, 2012

New York, One Hundred Years Ago


Does it ever get old, looking at pictures of New York City? Not for me. I think cities are the most beautiful things. Ones we know inside and out even more so. Discovering their past lives even more than that. The last time I remember some good weather here in London, Gordon, Iona and I went to Highbury Fields and Gordon was reading this book, Triumph of the City. I put it at the top of my list of reading for pleasure-- if I ever get back to that. 


Essentially, Edward Glaeser talks about how for the first time in human history, more people will be living in cities than spread out in small towns and communities or rural areas. And that cities are our greatest invention. I'm inclined to agree. For all their grit and toil, give me a metropolis any day. 


For more of these amazing NYC photos, check out here. (It's Daily Mail. Sorry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...