Monday, December 19, 2011

Mysteries of Lisbon


How did I miss this? Even before I knew that this movie was in Portuguese, or that it was set in Lisbon, I saw the first frames of this preview (which came right before this atrocious flick) I knew this was a costume drama for me!! You mean, it's like a Portuguese combo of Dickens and Victor Hugo??? Sign me up! And! It's four and half hours long. Bonus. 


Based on the book by Portuguese writer Camilo Castelo Branco, Mysteries of Lisbon tells the story of an orphan in search of his identity across Portugal, Italy, France and Brazil. I haven't actually seen it yet, but am currently devising a plan to track it down. Miguel, have you seen it? Thoughts? I almost couldn't believe from the preview that it was shot in digital. It actually started as a 6 part mini-series, so I think actually I should probably watch all six hours...right?  


I mean, listen, it's not that costume dramas are the only things I like... it's just that they satisfy a very specific escapist part of my character that other genres can't. My love of them has been kindly and mildly mocked by my best friend since we were kids. Everyone needs dorky, hopefully endearing loves. This is one of my many. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...