Thursday, December 15, 2011

Great Expectations and Whatnot


Even though I'm cuddling with my adorable goddaughter on a sun-drenched deck over looking the mountains of the Vegas Valley and a golf course, I'm still sad at what I'm missing back in the UK this Christmas. And I don't mean all my friends parties (though I am sad about that). No, sadly, Nerd Girl over here is sad to be missing all the good costume dramas. 


There's the Downton Abbey Christmas Special, and a brand new adaptation of one of my all-time faves, Great Expectations. (And it's starring Agent Scully! I mean, Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham.)


 I remember first reading Great Expectations as a freshman at Green Valley High School and having a philosophical and spiritual epiphany about Buddhism. It was definitely an epiphany of the 15 year old girl variety, but it set a lot of things in motion. And Great Expectations is home to one of my favorite lines of literature when Pip describes Estella as "the innermost life of my life." 


Anyhow, I know I'll be immediately doing some catch up on the iplayer once I'm back in the UK and things have settled down from all the fun surrounding Hogmanay. Americans, I'll report back any streaming sources I find.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...