Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pop this catchy could only be about losing your man to another man



Since I gave you Franzen this week, I want to make sure I also hit you with some populist schlock. I find it's helpful when you're working on serious things like dissertations to be watching at least one terrible television show. For me, right now, that terrible show is Made in Chelsea. It's like The Hills, but with polo...and none of the girls know that their boyfriends are gay. And I mean geigh


In spite of the fact that show is totally manufactured, and almost everyone on it is clearly using it as a platform to launch a music or design career, one of those music-career-launching, ultra-gay-boyfriend-having hopefuls is, to me, pretty good. Today, my guilty pleasure has been Greek songstress Gabriella Ellis's Fight-- the song she wrote after her boyfriend Ollie broke up with her and finally revealed that (SHOCKER) he's into guys too. 


But don't let the fact that she's really in for a fight on this one ruin the song for you. I kind of love it. I've listened to it about 20 times this afternoon while cleaning my house. I like her voice. Sure, she's a little heavy on the affected pop stylings, but... it's a bit to be expected. And if you actually have good diction in a pop song, they'll say you're too musical theatre. Can't win for losing. 


Happy Hump Day. Here is a preview of gay Ollie (so you can see what I mean. I'm talking, anyone could spot this guy coming from a thousand miles away!) and a live acoustic version of Fight. You can hear the whole "produced" song here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...