Thursday, June 30, 2011

One day in Lisbon- Part 4- Sunset & After



Because the fun never stops in Lisbon, after Sintra, we went cruising down the coastline, to check out Portugal's famous beaches. I dared to dream and brought a swimsuit on the Spain/Portugal trip, and even though I still didn't end up wearing it, I loved the moments I got to stand in the sunshine on Cascais, Estoril, Azenhas do Mar and a few other hot spots I've forgotten the names of now. 

After that, we went with both Miguel's parents to a beautiful waterfront restaurant. Such fun. You guys, did you know there's such a thing as mustard butter?? Well there is, and it is delicious. Put it on steak. Just trust me. I love Spanish food, but Portuguese food just wins as far as I'm concerned. 

We wrapped up the day from could-have-been-hell, but instead was from heaven, with a drive through some of Lisbon's more modern business sector. The lights were gorgeous and as my eyes started to droop from an action-packed day, I tried to count all the things we'd seen I'd never have seen otherwise. Seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites, five palaces, five beaches, 2 coffees, 2 beers, one pot of  mustard butter. Clearly, somewhere, I was being looked out for. 

From the safety of my Edinburgh flat, several days later, my friend Gretchen listened to this story and said in her adorable Gretchen way, "Eff you, man. Just eff you. Who ARE you? Man, even when you LOSE, you WIN."

I laughed and laughed because, she's right. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I am the luckiest bitch alive. Maybe the world knows I feel a little tinge over what I lack in family. Because I just keep finding and being accepted on so many sweet and unexpected levels into surrogate families around the world. It's a concept I've been in love with and writing about for quite some time. So, to all my surrogate families out there-- you know who you are-- I continue to send my boundless gratitude out into the cosmos to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...