Thursday, December 23, 2010

top 10 of '10- albums!



10. Duncan Sheik- Covers 80s
It's only an EP, but do I care? No. Duncan sings depeche mode. And Rachael Yamagata sings too? Done done done. 

9. Kings of Leon- Come Around Sundown
If the album only had "Pick-up Truck" on it, I'd have been happy. As it turns out, about half the songs here made it into my Heaven in Scotland playlist. 

8. Angus & Julia Stone- Down The Way
Whenever my train was late (it was a lot) or New York just had me stressed out this summer, I'd put on the mellow Australian brother/sister team and dream of "Big Jet Plane(s)."

7. Frightened Rabbit- Winter of Mixed Drinks
Of course I had to have a Scottish band on here. And I have Kris to thank for this rec (along with a lot of the music I've listened to in the last half of this year.) It was  hard not to personalize songs about the North Sea, and what it felt like to (metaphorically at least) "Swim Until You Can't See Land." The whole album is a must. 

6. Sia- We Are Born
Most of my best summer moments have this somewhere in the background. From heading to dinner parties on St Marks to farewell parties on midtown rooftops, Sia was there. 

5. Mumford & Sons- Sigh No More
Raised by a country and bluegrass musician, I was always going to love this album. That's not a banjo on there, as I've heard said, though it does sound like one. But there is a cello. You all know how I feel about cello rock.  And the video for "Little Lion Man" is simple, but gorgeous. I'm a child of the 80's and still a sucker for that. 

4. The Black Keys- Brothers
White guys doing the blues. No words. Love love love. Every song, every video. Everything. All of it. All the time. 

3. Robyn- Body Talk (Parts 1-3)
It's hard to pick a favorite of the three. But whenever I felt like dancing, Robyn had something for me. I also loved the acoustic version she'd float our way each time as a preview of the awesome dance track to come. And "Hang with me" and "Indestructible" are definitely among my favorites here. "Call Your Girlfriend" is up there too. I've loved Robyn since I was 15-- glad to see more folks are paying attention.

2. Florence + The Machine- Lungs
Sure, technically this came out in '09, but it certainly had one hell of a 2010. When I knew I was going to Scotland, but had nine months to fill just dreaming of it, Florence is how I worked and sweated and daydreamed my way to the day I got to take off. "Cosmic Love" will always feel like the secret knowledge that I was headed North.

1. Jonsi- Go
It was hard to decide between Florence and Jonsi for this top spot. As much as Florence was the music of getting to Scotland, Jonsi was the sound of being in Scotland. I think that's what wins here. When I'm old, I'll here "Go Do" or "Hengilas" and remember both the energy and stillness of moving to St Andrews to write all day long. 

1 comment:

  1. Black Keys "Too Afraid To Love You" in the studio in Muscle Shoals Alabama in black and white- Yay!!! Can't get much better than that!!

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...