Thursday, December 16, 2010

something new

photo by Curtis Brown photography
Funny how even at the Lincoln Center, they'll still probably mispronounce your name. And someone will still bring a crying baby (my family karma played out, even when I'm not there. A crying baby is normally how I note that my grandfather is still keeping tabs on me from the beyond. Glad to know he was at Lincoln Center, even if I was not). Steven did a great job introducing the song. (Normally it's my job to deal with any awkward questions from the host-- if anyone was at Composer Exposure, I'm sure you remember how I had to lay down the law there.) I love the audience when he says we wrote the song on skype. 


Here's a recording of Tim singing the New Year's song we wrote. We really rock-popped it up in this version-- perfect for Tim. Though my dream is still to hear in more of a world-weary R&B style sung by a dude who's been around the block a few times. You know who else I might send this sheet music to? This guy. (I miss you, Landooner!) The sound quality of the recording is a little intense (Tim can wail) so check your volume before listening. I'm off to finish my last set of short stories for the semester. 



Here are the lyrics 
(excerpted for the blog)
"Something New"
By Ryann Ferguson & Steven Jamail

Another New Years Eve, another to let-down
Trying to catch a cab in a ten-mile range
Another night of tempting fate somewhere downtown
Trying to see if midnight will bring some real change

There's gotta be something

Something better than this.
Something more than the champagne pour and who's drunk enough to kiss
It's the only holiday where you can feel both anxious and blue

I think it's time for something better, something new

All my only sometimes-friends small-talk about resolutions 
 Mourning years that passed and time that's slipped away
How about we make some noise for New Year's Revolutions?
I'd rather count my blessings. Afterall, it's a holiday.

There's gotta be something
Something brighter than this.

Something more than the champagne pour and the chance to reminisce
I've raised my glass to change before, but this time it feels true

I'm ready for something better, something new


 When one ball drops, I'll lift another up,

 Take control of what fills my soul-- more than what fills my cup
 I'll wake up to a kind of dawn that I've never dreamt before
There's so much a new year can restore


Try to find something

Something braver than this

Something more than the dull roar of auld lang syne amiss
I've raised my glass in hope before but this time it feels true

I'm ready for something better, something new




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...