Sunday, July 11, 2010

scots and ruskies

his weekend might take the prize for the most simultaneous projects worked on. And while normally, I don't like to switch gears a lot (it takes me a while normally to get to  the center of whatever I need to be working on) this weekend somehow didn't pose any problems.


Steven and I started out in the studio working on the new VOTE! title number megamix, which is going to be amazing when we're done. We've added almost everyone we've ever worked with, so it's pretty special, and definitely something I'm excited to take with me as a reminder of the crazy talent I've been able to work with while here in NYC. 


That night, we also started the instrumental work on the totally revamped Nicholas & Alexandra Trio, "In Your Name." It's the Act I closer that's been with the show from the beginning. We performed it at our Zipper concert back in October 2008, but let's just say, it's a completely different song now. Autumn Hurlbert, Jeremy Jordan (of Rock of Ages & current Tony in West Side Story) are coming in to record it along with the one and only John Berno next week. 


Yesterday, I worked on stuff for Scotland, my new novel, the book of Nic & Alix, and watched a movie I've been dying to see for quite sometime, a sort of bio/death pic of Tolstoy, The Last Station. It takes place right around the time the heart of our Nic & Alix story is going on (1910), and I find that any glimpse into all the (MULTITUDE) of issues going on in Russia at the time, helps me get a clearer idea of how to write Nic & Alix. Great movie-- great! (Also, an interesting study of tone, which you know I love so much!) I can never get enough Helen Mirren, the one and only Capt. Von Trapp, Christopher Plummer (Edelweiss-- I die), or my dear Scot-- James McAvoy (utterly, utterly, seethingly, earnestly endearing in this flick). I think of Tolstoy a lot while I write Nic & Alix. 




Finally, I thought I'd share with you just a snippet of the instrumental from "In Your Name."  I can't take much credit for anything you hear-- I can only throw up my hands in wonderment-- how am I so lucky?! to work with that Steven T. Jamail. Sometime soon, you can hear the whole song, with my lyrics (though, the singers will be who makes  that sound good) but for now, just close your eyes and listen to that french horn solo! The french horn sounds like Nicholas to me. I have dreams about this french horn solo. It's divine. 
Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. I thought that was a French horn! I have a really good feeling about Nicholas and Alexandra from what I've heard. What I have gleamed from the music is a feel of contemporary musical theatre, but with a feel of tribute to the Rodgers&Hammerstein era, which I feel works perfectly for the history you're working with. Not to mention-- an epic historical couple! I'm really excited for you and I can't wait to hear more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Catherine! So glad you like it! We'll try to show you all some more soon! As for your question you posted on youtube, Steven and I will still be working together while I'm in Scotland. We worked together before he moved to NYC too and we still got lots done! :)

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...