Sunday, July 4, 2010

today feels like this

Happy 4th of July! All kinds of stuff going on. But pretty much everyday feels like some version of this for me and everyone I know. (Also, you gotta respect someone who can show-up the Beatles on their own song. )


The Wonder Years was one of my best memories of childhood. It was the one thing my mom and I did together. One of the only times she ever seemed to really let me in. I feel like I learned more about the real kernel of my mom that was in there somewhere from watching The Wonder Years with her than I did from any other single source in my life. And tonally, I feel like it influenced a lot of the way I still write today. Ah, Amerciana.

1 comment:

  1. For me, the whole "American Dream" thing is a bit iffy. Even though I'm a green-eyed blond, my mom was born in Cuba as was her entire family and I live in an area where everyone is either Hispanic or African-American or Jewish. So, basically, when I think of "real America", I think of the opening credits of that old show "Step by Step" with the big, blonde family on the roller coaster at the county fair, or the movie "The Sandlot", where all the kids basically do is play baseball and eat apple pie.

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...