Friday, July 16, 2010

At some point, I start feeling self-congratulatory. this is a mistake.




I have an ever-expanding list of people I'd love to be besties with if I ever met. I mention a lot of them here... Jonathan Harris, Liz Gilbert, etc.


The funny thing is, especially with this one particular element, I actually have an odd knack for putting it out there and then it coming true! Someone will say to me...or I'll say to myself, "Ryann, you should be friends with So & So." And then somehow, so many of people I admire or people I'd like to be friends with get jumbled into some kind of social mix with me (because, as Morgan said, and thus Danielle's mom made a line of merch for, I'm the nexus of the universe ;) and then we're friends! 


I love stuff like that.


I also love Allie Brosh, of Hyberbole and a Half, who is cool for so many reasons. And for quite some time now, even though she lives in Montana, I've wished that the two of us were friends.  I bet we'd get into a lot of trouble riding around Montana with the windows rolled down (I'm visualizing this-- we're in like a Bronco or something-- something with good tires) and just messing with people-- saying funny things to them on the street (in my visualization, there are lots of people on the street, but actually now that I think about it, I bet there probably aren't in Montana...who knows). 


I like her warped sense of humor & logic and I like that she says "you can't trick people into liking your blog." Word. (Also, I like that her blog name is alliterative.)


And this week (this whole time in general, actually) when I am totally overwhelmed by my adult obligations and things I've promised to myself to get done before I leave the country, it's nice to have Allie Brosh and this post to remind me that sometimes I'm good at being and adult, but sometimes, I feel like I'll never be a good adult.


It gets to the point where I don't email someone for fear of reminding them that they emailed me and thus giving them a reason to be disappointed in me.

Then the guilt from my ignored responsibilities grows so large that merely carrying it around with me feels like a huge responsibility.  It takes up a sizable portion of my capacity, leaving me almost completely useless for anything other than consuming nachos and surfing the internet like an attention-deficient squirrel on PCP. 
 For your weekend enjoyment, just read her whole website. It's a gas. 


Also check out her store. I could spend about one million dollars in this store at about 4AM in the right insomniac mood, so....yeah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...