Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Haviland Sings "Release Me" From Nicholas & Alexandra



So... I'm not quite sure I realized how personal these lyrics were when I wrote them. Sure, I don't have a sick child-- I don't know what that's like. But at its core, this is a song about anxiety. The way life feels under the oppression of it; the threat of it... as compared to how it feels to be free of it; not afraid of it. 

Haviland is one of my friends who is most privy to my struggles with anxiety and so in addition to being a beautiful singer of this tune, she has a super insight into whatever deep well I pulled these lyrics from. I remember when I finally emailed these off to Steven, he wrote back soon after, "Where the hell did that come from!?"

I wasn't conscious of it then, but I am now. 

Not only did Haviland lay the smack down on this song, she put that concert on lock down. One of her best vocal performances I've ever heard. More of night like those please, Miss Stillwell, thankyouverymuch. 

And even though this is Alix's song in Nic & Alix, I sure wouldn't mind seeing Hav as Tatiana... a regal and enchanting Grand Duchess she shares a striking resemblance to. Not to mention, I can hear her all over Livadia. Until the next step... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...