Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Academy Award Picks



Basically, I don't remember the last time I felt honest about making any Oscar predictions. This is because for most of my adult life, I haven't seen enough of the movies each year to have any kind of opinion (in a choice between seeing a film in the theatre for $14.50 or seeing a Broadway show for free, which would you pick? That's what I thought.) But this year, I actually have some opinions. (Save your jokes about me already having enough opinions. I get it.) And while I still feel too removed from the politics of all of it to say which people will win, here's who I think should win tonight.


Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
"The Ides of March" Screenplay by George Clooney & Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon-- Go Beau!
"Moneyball" Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin Story by Stan Chervin- Okay, but this was also some great work as far as adaptations go. 
Writing (Original Screenplay)
"The Artist" Written by Michel Hazanavicius
"Bridesmaids" Written by Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig (But it's be sweet if they won... just for Wiig's speech)
Art Direction"Midnight in Paris" 
Cinematography "The Tree of Life" Emmanuel Lubezki
Costume Design"W.E." Arianne Phillips 

Actor in a Leading Role
Jean Dujardin in "The Artist" was so so so charming. 
But I'd also take Brad Pitt in "Moneyball" because I love Brad and thinks he deserves one. His physicality is pretty much unmatched. 
Actor in a Supporting Role
Christopher Plummer in "Beginners" No Contest. Hell, I'd give it to him just for the scene where he comes back from the gay club and then writes down "house...music."
Actress in a Leading Role
In one of the weakest Lead Actress pools in recent years, I think Michelle Williams in "My Week with Marilyn" gets it all the way. She was a little skinny, but deserves all the praise she got for this role.
Actress in a Supporting Role
Bérénice Bejo in "The Artist" is a delight. That is all. 
Directing
"The Artist" Michel Hazanavicius
Best Picture
"The Artist" was visionary. I think its harder and harder to say that about films anymore. And even harder to do. For more of my thoughts, check out my original post. But in a sea of passable films, this one is something special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...