Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Man Chris Mann on the Voice


So, listen: I don't quite understand what different spin on a singing show The Voice is, considering I've been out of the country since it began. I get that there are teams and things. Do you still vote? Because, if you do-- and I can say this with certainty, even without seeing any of the other contestants-- that you should vote for Chris Mann. Can I just take this time to talk about my pal Chris Mann some more?


He did this amazing number with the Rosie's Kids and my Steven a few years back. I remember sitting in the audience with my friend Bernardo and let's just say we had both hit the free wine beforehand a little too hard and we were both angling for a free moment to duck out to the restrooms. But I forgot all about that when Chris and those kids sang. And I've been tooting his horn ever since. ("Falling Awake" is still one of my favorite songs ever. Too bad those bitches at Sony wouldn't let you keep it.)


He is gracious. He is funny. He has a sense of humor about himself. And he is one serious example of how this business we call show will yo-yo your ass around for years. A lot of people deserve a lot of things in this biz, but Chris Mann really really deserves any nice thing he gets and a "beautiful life." 


I was nodding my head with pride when he said, "For years I've been trying to shrink my voice down to fit... but I decided for this show that I was going to sing like myself." Here's to never, ever shrinking your voice down to fit anyone's idea of what you should be. Preach.


You go, Chris Mann. I am a MannFan 'til the end and rooting for you from across the pond. 



Always takes so much longer
And it always feels so much harder than I thought that it would be
Oh its eternity 
When I stopped and looked inside and then I searched I just might find 
that I really have it all
Oh I really have it all 

4 comments:

  1. I don't watch the show, but I sure hope he does well. It is refreshing to hear that kind of singing!!!

    He also made the right decision with Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Falling Awake is my favorite all time Chris Mann song also...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-thank you SO much for these humbling words. I remember that Rosie performance and am SO happy you had some vino before hand. That was one of my favorite days ever working with the kids. I've never said to anyone but my first rehearsal with them was the day after i found out i was being dropped from sony. I was a mess...and had had some "vino" myself. But working with the kids made me feel a lot better. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Anyways--thanks for remembering and for the support on the voice! chrismannmusic.com. facebook.com/chrismannthevoice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara WoodardFebruary 16, 2012

    I've had the honor of knowing this young man since he went to grade school with my daughter. I've been a fan of his since he performed my favorite song My Maria at a High school music program back in 97 or 98. I have always followed his career, cheering him on without his knowledge and telling everyone I know about his amazing voice all the while knowing someday he will be a star. I am so thankful he has this opportunity and can't wait to see him perform again.

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...