Happy St Andrews Day! About now, the processional is making its way to the East Sands for piping and fireworks. The weather here has decided to ease my Scotland sickness. It's been raining in LA, so it really does feel like a day in Auld Reekie. Not only is this the day that honors Scotland's patron saint, it's also Sophie's birthday!
Sophie, in addition to being one of my lifetime best friends, a brilliant and heart-breaking musician, is also someone who simply embodies Scotland for me. I think listening to her music, no matter where you might find yourself, gives you the feeling that you're listening to her by a hearth and crackling fire in Perthshire.
Every year, Scotland tourism does a lot to promote the event and this year is no different. Here is a fun little whathaveyou from Scotland.org where you can Saltire your face. Who doesn't want to look like an extra from Braveheart, right?
And more links!
- In case you want to know more about St Andrew, here is my post from a few years back.
- Because it's Scotland, we might as well get political about it.
- Downton in New York? This is the best idea ever! (Though why do they call Downton a rom/com?)
- Interesting Theresa Rebeck interview on her exit from SMASH.
- My boo, Taylor, has started blogging again. The poet hedonist hard at work.
- These two people together on one stage make me proud to be American.
- This jacket.
- I was ambivalent before, but, man, this Second Season of GIRLS looks prrrrretty good!