Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Adventures in Babysitting



All this week, I'm babysitting a family of three kids-- an American family, living in India (Dad is one of the original Silicon Valley Tech magnates), in London for the Olympics. Other than attempting to meet the wide-ranging needs and attention demands of an 11, 8, and 5 year old simultaneously, it's great fun. 


The weather is ideal, and we're camped out in their family home: a sprawling, four-storey townhouse in Georgian Connaught Square near Marble Arch. We're sharing the square with former Prime Minister Tony Blair & fam and DJ Paul Oakenfold. The gated garden in the center of the Square is immaculately well-kept, but apparently, it was the one-time site of the Tyburn Tree-- London's public execution site. 


I'm trying recall another time when I've been responsible for this many children. I don't think I have. But it's funny because... until I realized I'd waited too long to have such a big family... I had wanted four kids. Twelve hours a day with three certainly has its challenges, but being around them really brings out certain instincts in me. How freely they took me in, dispensed their affection all over me. It sure is nice.  And I have a pretty good idea of what kind of mother I'll be: calmer and much less of pushover than I am in regular life. Anyhow, enough of the hypothetics. Felix, Nora, Lulu (interesting, since that was my mother's nickname for me when I was a kid) and I have a big day ahead in Hyde Park, so I'm off. Hope you have a great day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...