Friday, January 25, 2013
Happy Birthday Burns Friday Links
Tonight, I am having a Burns Night Supper at my house. In the grand tradition of almost all my parties, almost no one is coming. (At least I can always count on McC!) At least the weather is obligingly Scottish. Nevertheless, I am making vegetarian haggis, neeps & tatties and cranachan. Sophie has even offered to skype in to sing us some "Auld Lang Syne" at midnight (8 AM Scottish time) but to be honest, I doubt we'll make it that long.
In any case, I love this holiday. It's also my dad's birthday, Rob Shafer's birthday, and Kate Floyd's birthday. All lifetime favorites.
Here are your links.
- One of my favorite articles (from the D. Patz) on Burns
- Tartan picks for a stylish Burns Night.
- I. Love. This. Song. I wish all bands sang with Scottish inflection.
- My next read, Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend.
- 25 greatest unscripted movie scenes.
- Facts about the new Mad Men series. Oooh, so soon!
- This is hilarious!
- I always loved you, Jimmy Carter.
- There's a part of me that agrees with this.
- But then, I do also love Andrew Sullivan.
- Salon's guide to memoir writing
- Oooh, new Stephen Poliakoff film project
- Rice is going to have a CLASS ON DOWNTOWN ABBEY next semester!