Tuesday, August 24, 2010

leave Vivien alone!





McC was kind enough to alert me to this and now I'm FUMING. FUMING. I try not to make this blog about being outraged or complaining, but listen: 7 things offend me. This combines about 4 of them. When you attack Vivien Leigh (and by extension, GWTW) you might as well come after my dad, it's that upsetting to me. 


What is the point of trying to sully the name of brilliant actress (with well-documented illnesses) who has been dead for 43 years? The author of the actual biography isn't listed, nor are any real sources the "biographer" had. The way our sound bite based media works, it doesn't really matter if what you say if true. You can say whatever you want, retract it, but people only remember the sound bite. So they believe whatever they heard first. (examples include Obama's religion, Obama's birth certificate, I could go on here).


So even if in today's Post, there's any kind of retraction, etc (though I doubt there will be) most people will remember the inflammatory article, not it's mellow cousin, the apology. They'll remember "slutty lesbian." And every bit of this article's sexist language makes me want to barf. 


I'm not offended, nor am passing judgement, on Vivien Leigh if she was indeed a lesbian or bisexual...or even promiscuous, really (though, pretty obviously, not a big fan of adultery). But this article/this biography is passing judgement! And that's what offends me. Why are we so obsessed with making every detail of someone's sex life known? Why is there always the rush to dirtiest thing we can come up with in the bedroom (or in this case, the substitute for)? American culture is obsessed with the basest qualities. I'm so sick of it!....and that's why I'm leaving! (which is sadly how I end many sentences these days.)

I liked the comment from this poster: "She was mentally ill. What is your excuse? As a supposed writer you should be ashamed top write such tripe. But then, I expect too much of my fellow man these days. " 

1 comment:

  1. Damn, damn, damn, I am seriously pissed! The only reason I can think of to dig up trash like this is that whoever is writing it is dog shit ugly and jealous. Good thing I'm in Atlanta cause...
    I can shoot straight, if I don't have to shoot too far.

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...