Wednesday, August 11, 2010

defenders of...of...

We kind of ran wild as kids. 
Probably not surprising to anyone reading this, I was an odd child. There are multiple stories I could follow that statement up with, but lately, in this heat, and thinking about all the things I'll  miss about NYC, I keep thinking about October. So I suppose this is rather untimely, but I used to be absolutely obsessed with Halloween. In the dorkiest way possible. I  mean, I wasn't NOT in it for the candy, but that wasn't the main issue for me. Because Halloween was the one time where I could dress up like historical figures and not get truly truly made fun of for it. 


I still never picked the things the cool kids picked though. While my step brother was a "Dead skateboarder," I had to be Neferititi, a mummy princess. (In fact, I always chose the more complicated feminine option of anything-- for pioneer day in 4th grade, instead of coming to school in overalls as a miner like everyone else, I came as a saloon girl. It didn't go over very well.) Some other costumes throughout the years were Lizzie Borden, Pocahontas, Glinda the Good Witch, Tatiana Romanov, and of course, Scarlett O'Hara


Funny, because now, you pretty much couldn't force me to put on a halloween costume. I have to be coaxed. (Helen, Emily, I'm talking to you two!)


The best thing I remember about Halloween though, (besides Emily and her mom having haunted houses and forcing me to dress up) was all the adventures I had with my step sister (Are you noticing the string of step siblings here) over about 4 magical Halloweens. We'd have Costume A (our normal costume-- ie Lizzie Borden, but normally it involved a mask, for a specific reason) and we'd make the rounds throughout the entire neighborhood before coming back home to change into....Costume B. 


But Costume B was the same every year. SUPER BIMBOS! We had seen the Super Bimbos sketch on In Living Color and for some reason, it really resonated with us. So we made up songs for ourselves, stuffed our boobs and butts with balloons and went around the neighborhood again, answering the door with, "We're the SUPER BIMBOS! Defenders of....of....what are we defenders of again?!" We had so much fun, I just remember how my cheeks and my whole stomach would just hurt from laughing. 


It was the closest I ever got to any of the 5 people I called stepsiblings over the course of my childhood. Maybe we could get close because we were pretending. Maybe it was just the comedy that makes everyone let down their guards. Maybe it was just the candy coma. But those times are something else I  miss. 


...go about 37 seconds in...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...