Wednesday, May 26, 2010

dulcius ex asperis

I've always been big into genealogy. I'm sort of my family historian. Then my dad caught the big and did a bunch of research on his own, giving us all a big book of our ancestry. I bet I could prove my relationship to just about anybody...hahhaa.
I wear this clan ring and people ask me about it all the time. So I've started researching the more ancient parts of Ferguson clan history, some of which I'll be rolling out here. But this weekend is the clan gathering in Stirling. Man, would I like to be there just to see what the thing is really like. My only knowledge of a clan gathering was the one depicted on my favorite TV show, Monarch of the Glen.

There's lots to say about our ancestors, but let's just say it comes as no surprise that many of our folks were the most well-known poets, philosophers & romantics in Scottish history.

Adam Ferguson the philosopher (1724-1816) and Robert Fergusson (1750-1774) the poet and mentor of Robert Burns. And in the realm of romance, the heroine of the song Annie Laurie was married to Alexander Ferguson of Craigdarroch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...