Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Crush Week: I Heart CHVRCHES


CHVRCHES has pretty much everything I need in to order to commit to a band: chick singer with dude backups, some electronic goings on, list Prince & Depeche Mode as one of their primary influences, possess UK passports, and most importantly: Scottish residency. I was fortunate enough to see Glasgow natives, CHVRCHES, by accident (they had only JUST formed) while I was living in Scotland and have loved them ever since--- even though they haven't had much music for purchasing via the internet

I am happily awaiting their EP next month in the US. In the meantime, I've used my still-active UK itunes to download a few things. Lead singer Lauren Mayberry kind of reminds me of Hayley Williams-- in a good way. She's also a lawyer...and a journalist-- so watch the fuck out. Iain Cook & Martin Doherty, on the other hand, are sort of a Scottish indie rock mainstays-- having previously founded Aereogramme & The Unwinding Hours  and The Twilight Sad, respectively. CHVRCHES spent most of 2012 on tour with Passion Pit. Personally, I'd like to see them go out with Polica. That's a concert I'd jump to see. 

Even without Polica, I'm still planning on seeing them here in LA at the Echoplex on March 12th. See you there??

They're also the first band I've seen to have the good sense to take promo photos in front of the Scottish National Galleries neon installations by Nathan Coley

For more, check out here and here. And a Prince cover



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...