Tuesday, April 13, 2010

american idiot


Tonight, I'm going to see American Idiot at the St. James Theatre. I've heard reviews on both sides of the fence and everywhere in between, but I have a feeling I will like it. That's not to say that I'm going to think it's theatre at  it's best. But I have a feeling it's going to fill a void of a particular kind of show right now that I think Broadway always needs one of-- an angst-y show. A loud show. Something convulsing.


I mean, about half the cast comes straight from my favorite angst-y show, Spring Awakening, (same director too) so I'm sure that says something.


From what I've heard, too, I think Tom Kitt did a phenomenal job on the orchestrations. And who doesn't love great orchestrations, RIGHT?!? And, btw, congrats, Mr. Kitt on your PULITZER effing PRIZE. That little ol' prize has been on my super short list of lifetime goals for about ever, so it's always motivating to see another theatre guy pulling in the big fish. Even though, true to form, the Pulitzer for Drama is less than the others, at $10,000. But hey, I'd take it. You could still say you won a Pulitzer.


Edited: post show-- Tom Kitt is the MVP of this show. And directors aren't writers. That's where I'll stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...