Friday, March 12, 2010

Negative Capability

My whole life, I think this is the one concept that I'll always come back to. I think Keats' negative capability is entirely a Buddhist concept. So much so that I wrote a massive paper on it in college. Out of everything I struggle with, negative capability is what I am most drawn to and what I somehow can't ever quite seem to master. But, oh, how it is such a beautiful thing. That was the moment, when I first fell in love with Keats. When I read this:


"several things dovetailed in my mind, & at once it struck me, what quality went to form a Man of Achievement especially in literature & which Shakespeare possessed so enormously - I mean Negative Capability, that is when man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts without any irritable reaching after fact & reason."

Keats believed that great people (especially poets) have the ability to accept that not everything can be resolved.

I can't stop listening to the Bright Star soundtrack, especially this:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...